Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Green Up Our World

What does it mean to go green? Is it simply recycling and carpooling to work, or is it something more than that? In recent years there has been a greater push from scientists and the environmentally minded to address the issue of climate change and face it head on. I remember when I was a kid channels like the Disney Channel would run commercials asking everyone to take shorter showers and drink from fewer plastic bottles. Whether or not they still do that I do not know, but as a little kid I was really moved by those ads and wanted to help the earth as mush as I could. However, during my adolescence I felt the charge to save the planet die down. I didn't know what happened, but looking back I believe it was because I became more involved in school and social activities. This I feel is a universal truth, as soon as someone begins to move deeper in to activities, they withdraw from the outside world and focus on how those extracurriculars dominate their life. In essence, people become selfish and stop thinking of anything other than themselves and how busy they are. 

But not all hope is lost, I promise. I felt this trend start to come full circle, and people are once again looking outward rather than inward. More of the population is starting to address and accept, because there and continue to be a lot of skeptics, climate change as the reality of our world. This is the movement that needs to keep growing, we can't go back to the way things were. We as a people must stand together and help save the world if we can ever hope for a better and cleaner future. 

This earth day, Wednesday April 22, please consider doing something nice for the planet. Bring a couple of friends along too, I promise you wont regret it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment